Thursday, April 25, 2013

Senior Year is AWESOME: Don't Waste it.

I know I've been sticking to tips and writing lately, but let's be honest, I've just been lazy and had nothing else to say. Posting something I've already written was an easy way around that. However, I will get back to writing tips later because I do think that's helpful, but this post is something that I think is really important.
Throughout school, we can't wait to get older. On drill team, there's a poem that's traditionally read on our last night of show, that I read this year. My favorite part of it is:
Now, we finally realize that we could have waited to get older. We realize that time has somehow slipped away and soon we will be saying goodbye.
You can read the whole poem here.
Anywho, it's so true that we spend our childhood wishing to be older. In elementary school, we want to be in middle school. In middle school, we want to be in high school. As freshman, we can't wait to be 16, so we can drive. When we're 16, we can't wait to be 17 to see R-rated movies. When we're 17, we can't wait to be 18 to be adults! At 18, we can't wait to be 21.
Pine Cove Christian Camps this year!
I'm 18, but for once, I'm not waiting to be older. I'm content with being 18. Senior year is the easiest life is going to be ever again. After 12 years of school, senior year is a year of school where I don't have to stress about grades and ranking anymore. After senior year, I go back to stressing about everything in college, and after graduation, it gets even more stressful with a full time career. It's never going to get any easier, so for once, I'm content with where I am in life, not looking to get any older or younger.
Students get so caught up in what's ahead, we fail to relish the blessings of each age. I don't want to miss out on what this year has to offer simply because I'm excited for next year. I have next year to get excited about next year. This year is all about this year!
The picture I included may not seem very relevant, but trust me, it is. I went to Pine Cove for 10 years, starting in the 3rd grade. This past summer was my last year going. I went for the two week option, which allowed me to go help on Friday night at the Towers (the elementary school camp). They do an event called buffalo hunt, which involves a large pit of mud. The high schoolers (like me) and the counselors all have rubber bands on each of their wrists and ankles (we are the buffalo). Then a bunch of elementary school kids run at you and try to take your rubber bands. They kill the buffalo by removing all four rubber bands. When I was in elementary school, I don't think I ever got a single rubber band from a counselor because I stuck to the sides during buffalo hunt, trying not to get too muddy. Going back and doing it again, I realize how much I missed out on. Buffalo hunt was so much fun. As a leader, I tried to get those young girls like me, sticking to the sides, involved and playing in the mud. I've learned with time how much each year of my life has to offer. I now work to be involved and excited about everything that life and focus on the present, instead of the future. I urge all of you to do the same. Each year has it's own things to offer, and we need to appreciate those things while we can, instead of simply looking ahead at what's to come. We can focus on those things when they come!

Only 104 more days... Until then, keep calm and boomer sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. Your feedback is much appreciated!