Thursday, April 4, 2013

My thoughts on that chick from the walls treat journal

http://on.wsj.com/YU6rF0

She ends by acknowledging the fact that she is "an underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures," and I'm glad she does. At least she knows that she's a brat.
I first heard about Suzy on the Today show this morning, and I laughed as I heard about internships and whatnot that have been offered to her since her article was published. She's getting praised for being an entitled brat, and for those who aren't insane and see her for the brat she is, I do not appreciate the fact that many are throwing my entire graduating class under the bus with her. What did I do?
I understand that it was a satire (according to Weiss), but she compared it to 30 Rock as a satire. 30 Rock is Horatian; Weiss's article is one of the most juvenilian and harsh satires that I have ever read. Furthermore, as a student myself, I know that there was obviously some true pent up anger that is reflected by her words.
If you were to watch the Today show you would learn that her GPA is a 4.5 (on who knows what scale), her SAT was a 2120, and she had something to do with the senate. She is obviously a good student. She's probably near the top of her class, but she is complaining about not getting into Yale, Princeton, Vanderbilt, and UPenn. She is smart, but she is not Ivy League. I have a 4.12 GPA on a 5.0 scale, ranked number 122 out of 1,106, a 2140 on my SAT, and I've managed all of this while holding a leadership position on drill team for 3 years, being editor of the yearbook, a member of national honor society, national charity league, and being an active member of my church. Plus, ive still maintained a pretty nice social life. I'm not trying to brag; I'm simply trying to explain how outlandish her expectations were. I could not get into Yale, Princeton, or UPenn, and although I looked at Vanderbilt before deciding not to apply, I think I would've been a bit of a longshot.
Not because I'm not diverse, but because I'm not good enough for their standards.
She's right though, diversity does play a role in the acceptance process, but if you work hard, you can beat it. One of my friends is ranked higher than me and is 50% Mexican, but she was rejected from the University of Southern California. And I don't think she misheard whoever it was who told her to "just be yourself." I think they meant "just be your best." Colleges look for well rounded students.
She was simply disrespectful and obnoxious. Now I'm done venting. I'm sorry.

125 more days... Until then keep calm and boomer sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. Your feedback is much appreciated!